Arriving on May 5, 2018 – Departing on May 15, 2018
Plein air watercolor class with Mike Bailey
10 day Plein air watercolor class at La Vieux Couvent in the South of France with Mike Bailey AWS! Beautiful grounds and lodging; day trips to see the nearby cave drawings, the local countryside and historic places; wonderful food and a fine instructor who knows the area well! Mike has taught in this luscious part of France many times and knows its treasures well…you are in for a treat!
Mike is clear: the payoff to enduring the rigors of Plein Air is the excitement of visually soaking up the scene until you own it, the urgent energy, risk of experiment, a reaching for something new. To open his own pathways to more creative approaches has been a pull for Mike; guiding you along yours, a commitment!
Raised in California, Mike still resides in his hometown of Santa Cruz. As a youngster, Mike was always attracted to art, but parental “encouragement” led him away from making it a life’s focus. Art began as a kitchen table hobby in 1988 and soon consumed his every thought. He started at age 46 with a few lessons, lots of books and an occasional workshop to get him on his feet. What paid off most, he says, was the compulsive, daily and late night sessions at his easel. Mike is associated with numerous art societies and is a signature member of the National Watercolor Society. The awards he has received, the articles in magazines and his art featured in painting books are testimony to his continuous pursuit of excellence. His paintings are held in private and corporate collections in the US, Europe and Australia.
A taste of your visit to Le Vieux Couvent.
- Visit Souillac for the colorful market, the domed 16th century church, and perhaps a taste at the Eau de Vie distillery museum
- Visit Rocamadour, a historic pilgrimage site perched on a limestone cliff, with one of the most dramatic settings of any village in the world.
- Take a day trip to see 14,000 year old world famous cave paintings
- Discover the Dordogne, visit Chateau Baynac. Relax and lunch beside the river, then drive back to LVC via Roquegageac and Domme. Time for sketching, photos.
What’s included on this Creative Holiday.
- Ten night’s lodging (single or shared occupancy)
- All meals except two lunches and one dinner out
- Gourmet dinners
- Transport to unique painting sites
- 24 hour use of the art studio and extensive art library
- Round trip transport to Toulouse International Airport or Gourdon train station
Airfare, a couple of meals and tipping are not included